Catalyst is a global nonprofit working with some of the world’s most powerful CEOs and leading companies to build workplaces that work for women. Because progress for women is progress for everyone. We achieve our mission by partnering with 800+ Supporter organizations to help them make positive change in their organizations. We give companies and CEOs the trusted advice and expertise they need to drive workplace talent transformations in complex, global businesses.
Summary of Responsibilities
The Senior Director leads teams of professionals in Advisory Services engagements with leading corporations and firms, in the areas of diversity and inclusion with an emphasis on effective strategies for the recruitment, retention, and advancement of diverse talent. In this capacity, the Senior Director will lead the Advisory Services engagement team in collecting and/or analyzing data, creating a diagnosis of workplace strengths and issues, and facilitating strategic sessions.
Under the direction of the Advisory Services Vice President, provide process and thought leadership for assigned Advisory Services clients and projects. Responsibilities include:
- Develop your personal external networks and represent Catalyst externally at conferences and speaking engagements.
- Build and maintains excellent client and partner relationships
- Provide real-time advisement to Catalyst supporter organizations on a wide variety of topics related to diversity and inclusion.
- Drive new business development converting initial calls into opportunities for proposals with a targeted proposal acceptance rate of 50%.
- Develop proposals to balance the needs of supporters, our internal clients and our consulting department strategy; submit project design and fees for approval of a Vice President.
- Engagement management for client engagements of all sizes, managing and/or overseeing day-to-day relations with partner and client contacts and project manager (if required) to ensure coordination of all project activities in accordance with contract requirements to meet deadlines with high-quality deliverables.
- Act as strategic advisor and thought partner to clients in shorter, focused engagements on change management.
- Design and facilitate group discussions with client teams leading to consensus, strategy development, and/or clear outcomes.
- Present to and facilitate conversations with client executives on a variety of topics including Catalyst research and diversity and inclusion practices
- Foster inclusive, multi-level teams (Analysts to Vice Presidents) as well as independent contractors to build productivity and efficiently execute tasks and projects.
- Lead Catalyst engagement teams in design and execution of data collection (interviews, focus groups, surveys, policy review, workforce statistics, etc.), analysis of data, and synthesis of findings; ensure accuracy and quality of analysis and interpretation of data.
- Improve Advisory Services processes/operations and knowledge-building, including administrative tools and procedures for the department.
- Identify training and resource needs for departmental staff.
- Recognized as an expert within an "issue specialty" area as demonstrated by information dissemination through writing and speaking to internal and external audiences.
- Build capabilities of other Catalyst staff involved in providing Advisory Services and recognize/leverage opportunities related to Catalyst's mission.
- Meet a 50% utilization rate (billable hours), ensure an overall minimum 40% consulting engagement profitability margin, and meet departmental revenue goals as established annually to achieve our growth strategy.
Knowledge and Skills
- Must have seven (7) years or more of external consulting or internal human resources and/or diversity and inclusion experience within a corporate/firm environment
- Master’s degree is preferred but not required or equivalent years of experience.
- Expertise in one or more areas of specialization (diversity and inclusion focus areas, industry, etc.).
- Strong management abilities, including team leadership and development, solid interpersonal skills, and project planning and oversight.
- Ability to develop a project framework, and conceptualize and develop effective systems, processes, tools and products.
- Ability to lead and participate in a highly team-oriented and matrixed work environment.
- Skill in strategic planning focused on diversity and inclusion and the advancement of women, including women of color, within corporations and/or firms.
- Strong oral and written communication skills.
- Skill in designing and delivering formal and informal presentations, external speaking engagements, and written reports.
- Strong group facilitation and interviewing skills.
- Ability to juggle multiple project responsibilities and meet deadlines.
- Analytical and problem-solving background a must.
- Global knowledge and experience a plus.
- Executive coaching experience a plus.
- Personal computer literacy in a networked Windows environment; advanced proficiency in Word, PowerPoint, and Excel; SPSS and NVivo a plus.