Title: Director, Advisory Services
Department: Advisory Services
Reports to: Vice President, Advisory Services
Location: New York Office, or Virtually in the US
Catalyst is a global nonprofit working with some of the world’s most powerful CEOs and leading companies to build workplaces that work for women, because progress for women is progress for everyone. We achieve our mission by partnering with 800+ Supporter organizations to help them make positive change in their organizations. We give companies and CEOs the trusted advice and expertise they need to drive workplace talent transformations in complex, global businesses.
Summary of Responsibilities
The Director leads/co-leads teams of professionals in Advisory Services engagements with leading corporations and firms, in the areas of diversity and inclusion with an emphasis on effective strategies for the recruitment, retention, and advancement of diverse talent.
The Director will co-design and facilitate sessions with client teams, ranging from targeted advice on improving diversity and inclusion, to extensive strategic planning sessions in which the Director will lead/co-lead the Advisory Services engagement team in collecting and/or analyzing data, creating a diagnosis of workplace strengths and issues, and facilitating strategic sessions.
Under the direction of Vice President, Advisory Services, provide processes and thought leadership for assigned Advisory Services clients and projects.
- Manage client and partner relationships.
- Provide real-time advisement to Catalyst supporter organizations on a wide variety of topics related to diversity and inclusion.
- Assist in new business development and represent Catalyst externally.
- Support proposals, shaping proposed project design and fees for approval of a Vice President.
- Project management for client engagements, managing and/or overseeing day-to-day relations with partner and client contacts and ensuring coordination of all project activities to meet deadlines with high-quality deliverables.
- Lead multi-level teams (Analysts to Vice Presidents) as well as independent contractors.
- Support Catalyst engagement teams in design and execution of data collection (interviews, focus groups, surveys, policy review, workforce statistics, etc.), analysis of data, and synthesis of findings.
- Design and facilitate group discussions with client teams leading to consensus, strategy development, and/or clear outcomes.
- Act as strategic advisor and thought partner to clients in shorter, focused engagements on change management.
- Present to and facilitate conversations with client executives on a variety of topics including Catalyst research and diversity and inclusion practices.
- Assist in Advisory Services operations and knowledge-building, including administrative tools and procedures for the department.
- Participate in identifying training and resource needs for departmental staff.
- Gain recognition as an expert within an "issue specialty" area as demonstrated by information dissemination through writing and speaking to internal and external audiences.
Knowledge and Skills
- Strong management abilities, including team leadership and development, solid interpersonal skills, and project planning and oversight.
- Ability to lead and participate in a highly team-oriented and matrixed work environment.
- Ability to develop a project framework, and conceptualize and develop effective systems, processes, tools and products.
- Skill in strategic planning focused on diversity and inclusion and the advancement of women, including women of color, within corporations and/or firms.
- Expertise in one or more areas of specialization (diversity and inclusion focus areas, industry, etc.).
- Strong oral and written communication skills.
- Skill in designing and delivering formal and informal presentations, external speaking engagements, and written reports.
- Strong group facilitation and interviewing skills.
- Ability to juggle multiple project responsibilities and meet deadlines.
- Executive coaching experience is a plus.
- Personal computer literacy in a networked Windows Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint) environment. Personal computer literacy in a networked Windows environment; proficiency in Word, PowerPoint, and Excel; SPSS and NVivo are a plus.
- Travel (typically up to 20%, currently no required travel due to COVID restrictions).
- Work with confidential issues and data.
- Ongoing communication with functional areas at Catalyst to achieve alignment.
Education and Experience Requirements
This position requires a Master’s Degree with five years or more of consulting/project management and/or human resources/change management experience. Analytical and problem-solving background is a must; Global knowledge and experience are a plus.